Diabetes does not mean that kids cannot enjoy a variety of meals. We have shortlisted five healthy meals for children with diabetes. They are easy to make and delicious to eat.
Recipe 1) Fresh Noodle & Vegetable Rolls
Each Serve: Carbs: 7g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g Add to PredictBGL App
- 80g dried vermicelli noodles
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium red capsicum
- 1/4 small Chinese cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 12 rice paper wraps
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 0.66 cups water
- birds eye chilli
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons low-salt soy sauce
- Soak noodles in boiling water in a large heatproof bowl for 5 minutes; stir to separate strands, then drain.
- Cut/ break noodles into shorter lengths.
- Grate the carrot. Deseed and finely slice the cucumber and capsicum. Finely shred the Chinese cabbage.
- Optional Dipping Sauce – combine the caster sugar, water, sliced chilli (optional), lime juice, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce.
- Place noodles in a large bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the dipping sauce. Add chopped vegetables and herbs; toss to combine.
- To assemble rolls, place 1 sheet of rice paper in a medium bowl of warm water until just softened.
- Lift sheet from water carefully; place on a board covered with a clean tea towel.
- Place 1/3 cup of mixture across lower part of the wrapper, in a neat horizontal pile.
- Fold bottom end over, then sides and roll up tightly.
- Place on a platter. Repeat with remaining rice paper sheets and vegetable filling.
- Serve with dipping sauce or soy sauce (optional).
Recipe courtesy https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/recipes/13150
Recipe 2 ) Macaroni and Cheese
Each serve: Carbs: 40g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 7g Add to PredictBGL App
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1/4 pound Velveeta Light (reduced fat pasteurized prepared cheese product), cut up
- 1 8-ounce package Kraft Free Shredded Non-Fat Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan on low heat. Blend in flour and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add the milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add prepared cheese product and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Stir in macaroni.
- Pour into a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle casserole with remaining 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Recipe courtesy of Kraft Diabetic Choices
Recipe 3) Chicken Pasta Salad
Per Cup serving: Carbs: 11.1g, Protein: 13.3g, Fat: 3.2g Add to PredictBGL App
What you need:
- 8 ounces canned salmon (packed in water, not oil), drained
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon cucumber, diced
- 1 scallion, ends removed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fat-free plain Greek yogurt or low-fat/fat-free mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
What to do:
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe 4) Kids friendly meat balls
Serves 8. Per 2 meatballs:
Carbs: 8g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 4.5g Add to PredictBGL App
½ cup ketchup
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
1/2 zucchini, grated
1 carrot, grated
1/2 onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix together meatball ingredients. Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Place meatballs on a baking sheet and top evenly with sauce (1½ teaspoon per meatball).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until done.
Recipe 5) Waffled-eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup cooked ground sausage (substitute ham or bacon if preferred)
¼ diced onion
¼ diced green pepper (or other vegetables of choice)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Serves 8. Each serve:
Carbs: 2g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 9.5g Add to PredictBGL App
Preheat waffle iron to medium setting. Spray cooking surface with nonstick cooking spray.
Beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until blended. Stir in sausage, onions, and green peppers.
Evenly pour half of egg mixture over the four squares of a standard waffle iron.
Shut waffle iron and let cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until eggs are set. Open waffle iron and remove waffles with a fork.
Repeat with remaining egg mixture.
Recipe courtesy: http://www.t1everydaymagic.com/waffled-eggs/
Do you have your own favorite recipes? Let us know below!
Did you know that you can now manage your child’s diabetes at the touch of a button? For more information go to http://www.predictbgl.com